What causes headaches or migraines?
There are many factors which can lead to headaches or migraines.
Therefore, the importance of diagnosing and treating the correct cause is paramount.
Headaches or migraines might be caused by:
- Muscular tension, muscles of the neck, spine, and shoulders may be impinging on nerves, referring pain and causing nausea, or occluding arteries, cutting nutrient and oxygen supply to the brain.
- ‘High blood pressure’, it should be stated here that there are also many factors which can cause high blood pressure (HBP), and HBP should not be treated directly as a symptom, more complications will arise if the cause itself is not properly diagnosed and made the focus of treatment.
- Low blood pressure;
- poor blood nutrient levels.
- Toxins due to organ dysfunction;
- poor blood flow due to injuries or menstruation issues;
- Lack of quality sleep.
- And the list of causes for sufferers goes on.
Headaches may also be caused by misuse of aspirin and other ‘pain killers’. The action of such drugs thins the blood, allowing blood to more easily reach the brain, but the temporary relief of symptoms fools the body’s homeostatic effects, leading to increased pressure and disruption to affected blood vessels and structures on completion of the drug’s duration. Sufferers also often ignore their doctor’s warning that aspirin causes gastrointestinal bleeding, and that repeated use may lead to stomach ulcers.
How are headaches/migraines treated?
In the initial consultation, focus will be placed on the appropriate diagnosis and developing a treatment plan. In the case of accidents or injuries, please bring any associated medical records so that we may work closely with your general practitioner.
Evolution Medical Care provides practitioners experienced in Acupuncture, Cupping and Herbal Medicine. These are useful tools for targeting causative factors for headaches/migraines. Acupuncture is also indicated for stress and regulating other dysfunctions of the body systems. Chinese herbal medicine treats deficiency of blood nutrients and biochemical irregularities leading to headaches and migraines. A combination of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can regulate your health and see you well away from your suffering.